Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Remarkable Redouté



 
Nicknamed "The Raphael of flowers", Pierre-Joseph Redouté (1759-1840) was an artist entranced by the beauty of nature.  Born to a family of painters, Redouté began his career as a religious artist, travelling around Europe decorating various churches. Eventually he made his way to Paris, concentrating his talents on botanical illustration. His beautiful renditions of roses, lilies and other "specimens" elevated work of scientific accuracy and classifications to the realm of magnificent art which is still enjoyed today.

 

Redouté became an official court artist and the personal art teacher of Marie Antoinette, painting the gardens of Le Petit Trianon.  In 1798, Empress Josephine became his patron and the gardens of her beloved Malmaison one of his subjects. 

A designer for the French Academy of Sciences as well as the Professor of Plant Iconography at the Royal Gardens, Redouté lived a long and active life.

I've always had bits of Redoute's work gracing my RL home and so I was delighted to learned of their connection to Marie Antoinette and the court of France. With the long Canadian winter approaching I know that I will be turning my eyes to his wonderful roses as a promise of the summer to come.

I can recommend The Roses: The Complete Plates (Taschen 25th Anniversary) as a wonderful way for you to bring the garden indoors!

And for your enjoyment in SL, I have a new set of china based on the "Service aux Liliacées". Originally manufactured by Sévres in 1802 for Josephine it reflects one of Redouté's greatest works, the eight volume collection "Les Liliacée".  You can find this sculpted china collection at my store inworld or at the SL Marketplace: Josephine Malmaison China I .

I always marvel at the magic of Redouté and I hope that you enjoy it as well!


No comments:

Post a Comment