Sunday, July 7, 2013

Maison Noir Blanc: Messing with Mesh & Materials

Inspiration: Neoclassic Row House

In Second Life, as in real life, I tend to be a "jack of all trades and master of none".  I love to dabble in the different skills necessary to create but I'm very impatient with the learning curve.  I'm really excited about the introduction of Mesh and now Materials to Second Life but I find it hard to make a concentrated effort to get up to speed on these 3D building techniques.
 
All this to say that I need a lot of inspiration to propel me into uncharted territory.
 
The Neoclassic Row House pictured above, was just what I was looking for;  small & stylish, classic & contained.  It's a build that easily lends itself to mesh modelling, or so my untutored self surmises.  And so project Maison Noir Blanc was launched.


Under Construction: Maison Noir Blanc Exterior
 
After a week's worth of work, it doesn't look like much but the learning experience has been rewarding.  I've figured out a fairly decent process of first building the components with prims and then converting them to mesh models.  I've also discovered that just how much to include in one mesh model is an art form in itself and so I'm still exploring the boundaries for most efficient Land Impact.
 
Neoclassic Window Surrounds: Mesh Version
 
I'm particularly proud of the stone window surrounds which were painstakingly pieced together, textured, meshed & textured again.  Note to self: when you create all of your own textures, things are going to take at least twice as long.
 
I'm also delighted that I managed to get the "glass" embedded in the mesh walls to function with privacy scripts so that their transparency can be altered by the home owner.  You've just got to savour the little victories.
 
Inspiration: Paris Apartment in White
 
Paris Apartment in White helped set the direction for the interior and also contributed to the project name.  Those white crown moulding, pillars and arches are to die for and just look at the gloss on that floor!
 
Under Construction: Maison Noir Blanc Interior
 
On the other hand, even though I knew it would never get dirty, I just couldn't go with all white underfoot and so I created a new Parisian Oak in a light tone.  I've started working with Materials to make not only this wood but all of the surfaces more dynamic according to shifting light.
 
I've learned that the use of Materials provides subtle enhancements.  Done well it can make the environment come alive in a way that was never possible before.  It will be most interesting to see the Before & After shots.
 
Inspiration: The Eiffel Tower in Black & White
 
So that's my Messing with Mesh & Materials tale as far as it has taken me.  During a bit of a "brain overload" mid-week I hunted down this fabulous black & white photo of the Eiffel Tower to keep me going.  There's nothing like French Ephemera to help me to see the brighter side of life.  And let's face it, as much as Mesh & Materials may be a challenge to me they're nothing compared to Monsieur Eiffel's!
 
♥.·:*¨¨*:· ♥
 
Have you had adventures with Mesh and/or Materials in Second Life?  I would love to hear your story.
_____________________________________________________________

Find Tatiana Dokuchic on Google+

Images: Neoclassic Row House, Pairs Apartment in White  Unknown;  All other images by Tatiana Dokuchic.

2 comments:

  1. OMG Tatiana, so elaborate, detailed, elegant, BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vanessa!

      Still working out some of the details but it's coming along and I've really learned a lot about mesh which was my original goal :)

      Delete